Inyo County Fishing
Blue Lake in the Sabrina Basin
the Best Camping along the
Outfit Yourself for Fishing Adventures
For detailed maps of some of Inyo County's best fishing areas, see
Inyo County stretches about 100 miles along the eastern side of California's Sierra Nevada from Mono County to Kern County. Inyo's western boundary follows the crest of the Sierra and includes 14,495-foot Mt. Whitney. Numerous streams cascade down the rugged escarpment of the eastern Sierra through Inyo County, providing some of the best mountain stream fishing in the state. Dozens of popular trout fishing lakes are nestled in the high valleys, many accessible by car.
Inyo County Lakes
In the north part of Inyo County, beautiful Rock Creek Lake lies just within the county border. Four pound rainbows are caught regularly there. A gentle hike leads into Little Lakes Valley with a dozen large lakes and as many smaller ones clustered near one another.
A little farther south, only 20 miles west of Bishop, are
three lakes that draw a steady flow of anglers: North Lake, Lake Sabrina, and South Lake. Each lake has trailheads leading into back country with boundless fishing opportunities.
- Magnificent lakes set back in a corner of the Sabrina Basin
- Rainbow and brook trout waiting to be tempted
- Best as an overnight backpack trip
- Nine great fishing lakes clustered within a few miles of each other
- Fish for rainbow, brook, and brown trout
- Fabulous weekend backpacking destination, breathtaking mountains
- Remote, High Sierra lake out of the Sabrina Basin
- Take a day side-trip and hike cross country up to this rarely-visited lake
- Fish for native brook trout
- Day-hike or backpack from South Lake
- Surrounded by dramatic peaks such as Chocolate Mountain
- Excellent fishing and many other lakes nearby
- Easy hike to lake with rewarding fishing for rainbow and brook trout
- Park of Rock Creek's Little Lakes Valley
- A dozen other good fishing lakes nearby
- High Sierra lake with big rainbow trout
- A great destination for backpacking into the Sabrina Basin
- Close to several other lakes and streams known for their great fishing
- An easy 2-mile hike out of South Lake
- Full of hungry brook trout
- Makes a good destination for children
More of Inyo County's Lakes
In the high country west of Big Pine the Big Pine Lakes offer fabulous mountain fishing amidst magnificent country. A few miles
to the south deep in the John Muir Wilderness the Cottonwood Lakes have been a popular destination for anglers for many years. (Check special fishing regulations covering Cottonwood Lakes, its tributaries, and
Inyo County Rivers and Streams
Inyo County's rivers and streams are famous for their fishing. Creeks that
hardly appear robust enough to support anything more than pan-size trout regularly produce 14" rainbows. Pine Creek,
Bishop Creek, McGee Creek, Big Pine Creek, Independence Creek, and many others offer rewarding fishing
throughout the season. At lower elevations the famous Owens River never fails to provide exciting fishing.
Recommended Magazines and Books for Fishing Inyo County
- California Fly Fisher The April 2014 issue of this magazine has an excellent article about fishing Bishop Creek. Every issue is packed with great articles.
- Fly Fishing Eastern Sierra Streams, Where to Go, What to Use,
and How to Get There, Mike Brown. Great book detailing the best streams in the Eastern
Sierra. Color Photographs.
- California's Best Fly Fishing, Premier Streams and Rivers from Northern California
to the Eastern Sierra, Chip O'Brien. An up-to-date guidebook, complete with maps, detailed descriptions
of fishing locations, analysis of the seasonal differences which affect fishing, and fly patterns.
- Fly Fishing Mammoth: A Fly Fisher's Guide to the Mammoth Lakes Area, Mark J. Heskett.
Information about fishing the Mammoth Lakes area of the Eastern Sierra. Becoming hard to find.
- The Definitive Guide to Fishing Central California ,
Chris Shaffer. The book details more than 380 lakes, rivers and streams around Central California.
The full color guide has more than 500 color photos.