Inyo County Fishing
Inyo County stretches about 100 miles along the eastern side of California's Sierra Nevada from Mono County to Kern County. Inyo's western boundary follows the crest of the Sierra and includes 14,495-foot Mt. Whitney. Numerous streams cascade down the rugged escarpment of the eastern Sierra through Inyo County, providing some of the best mountain stream fishing in the state. Dozens of popular trout fishing lakes are nestled in the high valleys, many accessible by car.
Inyo County Lakes
In the north part of Inyo County, beautiful Rock Creek Lake lies just within the county border. Four-pound rainbows are caught regularly there. A gentle hike leads into Little Lakes Valley with a dozen large lakes and as many smaller ones clustered near one another.
A little farther south, only 20 miles west of Bishop, are three lakes that draw a steady flow of anglers: North Lake, Lake Sabrina, and South Lake. Each lake has trailheads leading into back country with boundless fishing opportunities.
- Magnificent lakes in the Sabrina Basin
- Fish for rainbow and brook
- Best as overnight backpack
- Nine great fishing lakes
- Fish for rainbow, brook, and brown trout
- Fabulous weekend backpack
- Remote Sabrina Basin lake
- Cross-country route
- Fish for native brook trout
- Day-hike or backpack from South Lake
- Amidst dramatic peaks
- Other lakes nearby
- Easy hike day-hike, for rainbow and brook trout
- In Little Lakes Valley
- Other lakes nearby
- Two miles into the John Muir Wilderness
- Day-hike or camp in area
- Good fishing lakes nearby
- Fish for big rainbow trout
- Great backpack in Sabrina Basin
- Close to other lakes and streams
- Easy 2-miles from South Lake
- Full of hungry brook trout
- Good destination for children
Recommended Books, Lures, and Flies for Fishing Inyo County
- Fly Fishing Eastern Sierra Streams Where to Go, What to Use, and How to Get There, Mike Brown. Great book detailing the best streams in the Eastern Sierra. Color Photographs.
- Fly Fishing Trout Flies | Essential Flies for Trout | Hand-Tied Dry Flies, Nymphs, Streamers 32 of the most proven Trout flies, well-known for their timeless fish-catching effectiveness.
- Mepps Plain Lure Assortment Trouter Kit Spinner blades are silver or gold plated, copper, or polished brass .
- Fishin' Trails - 25 Short Hikes for Eastern Sierra Wild Trout Fishin' Trails covers the Bishop Creek area, Rock Creek, Mammoth Lakes, and more.
- Fishin' Trails 2 - 25 More Hikes for Eastern Sierra Wild Trout Fishin' Trails 2 offers more backcounrty destinations from Lone Pine to Bridgeport.