Dave's Sierra Fishing
Sierra Fishing at Its Most Spectacular
Dave's Sierra Fishing takes you to some of the best fishing destinations to be found in California's Sierra, places most people have never visited.
The featured Sierra fishing trips in this guide have been divided by counties and then by fishing destinations. (Yosemite has its own separate category.) Each Featured Trip is described in detail on its own page with all the information you need to plan a successful Sierra fishing outing.
Choose any of the counties displayed in the Sierra Fishing Destinations navigation to learn more about that area and to find a list of my Featured Trips. Or pick the County Overview to see a map of all Sierra Nevada counties and a menu of all the Featured Trips.
Some of the best fishing spots in the Sierra require at least a short walk away from the most heavily fished waters. The adventure of seeking out forgotten or overlooked places has kept me happily afoot in the Sierra for decades. I have always found the rewards of tramping in leaves no step had trodden black, along those less traveled paths, well worth the effort; and the morning walk as important a part of the experience as the time spent fishing.
Comprehensive Guides for Over 50
- Photographs of the Sierra lakes and streams
- Trip Guides with detailed directions
- Custom Maps for every featured trip
- Accommodations and camping options
- Fishing Supplies locations
- Sidetrips to nearby Sierra fishing destinations
Some of My Favorite Books and Magazines for Fishing the Sierra
- Fly Fishing Eastern Sierra Streams, Where to Go, What to Use, and How to Get There, Mike Brown. Great book detailing the best streams in the Eastern Sierra. Color Photographs.
- California's Best Fly Fishing, Premier Streams and Rivers from Northern California to the Eastern Sierra, Chip O'Brien. An up-to-date guidebook, complete with maps, detailed descriptions of fishing locations, analysis of the seasonal differences which affect fishing, and fly patterns.
- Sierra Trout Guide, Ralph Cutter. Undoubtedly the most thorough book on selecting the best flies for the various conditions in the Sierra. A great book on fishing techniques, equipment, and selecting the best places to fish.
- California Fly Fisher Every issue of this magazine is packed with great articles about fly fishing in California. Past issues have had articles on backcountry trout, high Sierra trout, Tioga Pass trout, the West Fork of the Carson River, wild flies, midging Lake Crowley, and fishing Rush Creek.
- The Definitive Guide to Fishing Central California, Chris Shaffer. The book details more than 380 lakes, rivers and streams around Central California. The full color guide has more than 500 color photos.